Saturday 13 April 2019

By This

By this
Jesus said,
“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.  
By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”John 13:34,35.
Over and over again throughout the New Testament we hear the word Love. Love God, love your neighbour, love your enemy.
John’s gospel records Jesus as saying,
“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” John 3:16.
Paul writing to Titus tells us,
“But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit” Titus 3:4,5.
Writing to the Corinthians Paul states,
“If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.  
If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.  
If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.”1 Corinthians 13:1-3.
To the Romans Paul writes,
“Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good.”Romans 12:9 
James the half brother of Jesus wrote,
If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, “Love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing right.  
But if you show favoritism, you sin and are convicted by the law as lawbreakers.  
For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.  
For he who said, “Do not commit adultery,” also said, “Do not murder.” If you do not commit adultery but do commit murder, you have become a lawbreaker. 
Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom,  because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment! James 2:8-13.
As Christians I firmly believe we must love, everyone, unconditionally friend and enemy alike, no exceptions. I believe failure to love those around us may have eternal consequences for them and possible for us.
So the question becomes if you profess to be a believer in Christ Jesus do you truly love those around you, God, your neighbour, your enemy?
Please think about it.

No comments: