Tuesday 23 April 2019

Who is Jesus

Who is Jesus
Ever since Jesus started preaching questions have arisen as to who he is. Questions that persist to this day.
Presented here are passages from the New Testament that tell you who the early church believed Jesus to be.
In John’s gospel records,
“Then came the Feast of Dedication at Jerusalem. It was winter, and Jesus was in the temple area walking in Solomon’s Colonnade.  
“The Jews gathered around him, saying, “How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ, tell us plainly.” 
Jesus answered, “I did tell you, but you do not believe. The miracles I do in my Father’s name speak for me, but you do not believe because you are not my sheep.  
My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.  
I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand.  
My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand.  
I and the Father are one.” 
Again the Jews picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus said to them, “I have shown you many great miracles from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?” 
“We are not stoning you for any of these,” replied the Jews, “but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God.” John 10 22-33.
Here even when faced with stoning Jesus claimed to be the Son of God. God incarnate.
In Matthews gospel we read,
“When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say the Son of Man is?” 
They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” 
“But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?” 
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” 
Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven.  Matthew 16:13-17.
The disciples who knew Jesus personally. These were men who had seen all that he did and certainly believed Jesus was the “the Christ the Son of the living God”.
In John’s gospel we read this conversation between Martha and Jesus.
“Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies;  and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
“Yes Lord” she told Him, “I believe you are the Christ the Son of God, who was to come into the world,” John 11:25,26,27.
In Luke’s gospel we read about an incident when Jesus was brought to the temple as a baby to be dedicated to the Lord. A man Simeon, a prophet said this about Jesus,
“Simeon took him in his arms and praised God, saying:  “Sovereign Lord, as you have promised, you now dismiss your servant in peace. For my eyes have seen your salvation, which you have prepared in the sight of all people, a light for revelation to the Gentiles and for glory to your people Israel.” Luke 2:28-32
Simeon calls Jesus God’s salvation. A light for revelation to the Gentiles”
In the book of Hebrews, the writer sums up
“In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the universe.  
The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven.” Hebrews 1:1-3.
The writer calls Jesus the Son of God. The radiance of God’s glory. The exact representation of his being. The one who provided purification for sins.
This is what the early church believed about Jesus this is what they and anyone who truly believes in Christ Jesus to this day asks you to believe.
Do you?
Please think about it.

No comments: