Thursday 16 May 2019

Sit with Sinners

Sit with sinners
John’s Gospel records this incident between a Samaritan woman and Jesus,
“Jacob’s well was there, and Jesus, tired as he was from the journey, sat down by the well. It was about the sixth hour. 
When a Samaritan woman came to draw water, Jesus said to her, “Will you give me a drink?”  (His disciples had gone into the town to buy food.) 
The Samaritan woman said to him, “You are a Jew and I am a Samaritan woman. How can you ask me for a drink?” (For Jews do not associate with Samaritans. )” John 4:6-9.
In Marks gospel we read,
“When the teachers of the law who were Pharisees saw him eating with the “sinners” and tax collectors, they asked his disciples: “Why does he eat with tax collectors and ‘sinners’?” 
On hearing this, Jesus said to them, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.” Mark 2:16,17.
If you claim to be a Christian. A true believer in Christ Jesus do you sit down with those with whom you disagree with? Are you willing to sit down with those of other faiths and share ideas? Are you willing to sit down with those who have different lifestyles than you and talk with them? Are you willing to sit down and have a meal with people whom you disagree with or consider sinners.
As we can see from the two portions of scripture I quoted above Jesus did. In doing so Jesus showed he loved unconditionally.
Sometime ago now I heard of a bakery in the United States who went to court over making a wedding cake for a same sex marriage. He claimed it was his right not to serve them because of what he believed. He claimed to be a Christian?
To my mind that does not show the love of Christ. The way I see it by making the cake for that couple doors would have opened allowing him to witness.
I speak here from experience. For close to thirty years I was a professional clown and magician. I performed at everything from small children’s parties to large events.
My wife and I performed for company and community events, as well as various religious groups, LGBTQ events, and more. During that time we never hid our faith. I wore a small cross on the collar of my costume and a large button on the lapel of my jacket that said “I love Sunday School”.
Most of the time people ignored or didn’t notice. There were times however after we’d performed that people would ask us what we believed.
It opened doors to tell them about our love for Christ and I believe planted seeds in the hearts of some people. 
Jesus when asked,
Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” 
Jesus replied: “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’  
This is the first and greatest commandment. 
And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’  
All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” Matthew 22:36-40
Earlier in Matthews gospel Jesus is quoted as saying,
“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’  
But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.  
If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that?  
  And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that?  Matthew 5:43-47.
This is what being a Christian is all about. Living the Christian life is living a life of unconditional love toward everyone.
Thus my question to you. If you consider yourself as a Christian are you loving everyone unconditionally?
Do you sit down with those whom you consider sinners?
Please think about it.

No comments: