Wednesday 8 September 2021

Do Gods Work

  Do Gods work

In the book of proverbs we read,

"Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. 

Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy." Proverbs 31:8,9.

All too often I think the church, particularly the evangelical church here in North America fail to follow what is said here in Proverbs 31:8,9. 

While there are a lot of Churches that do reach out and help the poor, and destitute. There are also way too many who do not. Churches, evangelist and pastors who are focussing so much on the ills of society that they are seen by secular society in a negative way. 

In the book of James we read,

"What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him?  

Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food.  

If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it?  

In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. 

But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds." Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.  

You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder. 

You foolish man, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless?" James 2:14-20.

I like what the American Evangelist Tony Campolo said,

"These issues are biblical issues: to care for the sick, to feed the hungry, to stand up for the oppressed. I contend that if the evangelical community became more biblical, everything would change." Tony Campolo.

As Christians our faith must urge us on to help the hungry, and the oppressed. In this way we will I believe win favour with God and man. And not only that see souls won for Christ.

Please think about it. 

No comments: