Tuesday 5 August 2014

Peace

Peace

“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”
                                                                 John 14:27
Here Jesus uses what I am told is a common Hebrew greeting. But the way he uses it has a deeper meaning.
He is referring to the salvation. The redemptive work Christ will achieve in the lives of the disciples and those who accept Christ because of their work.
Inner rest of the spirit that can only comes from true fellowship with God.
This is something that the world cannot give.
This is something the Psalmist spoke of when he wrote the 23rd Psalm,
“The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. 
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
 he leads me beside quiet waters, 
he restores my soul. 
He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. 
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, 
I will fear no evil, for you are with me; 
your rod and your staff, they comfort me. 
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
 You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. 
Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, 
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.” 
                                                                                                                     Psalm 23.
No matter what we are going through in this life, even in the darkest valley we, if we have that personal relationship with Christ have that peace that passes all understanding.
I know we live in a world that at times drags us in all directions. We live in a twenty-four, seven world that seems to be moving faster and faster.
A world when there just doesn’t seem to be enough time to do anything. A world devoid of peace. But be assured God is there for us. All we need to do is trust in Him, and let his peace become effective in our lives, rather than the cacophony of noises that is the world.
I found this poem from All Saints convent Cantonville, Maryland it’s called the Nun’s Twenty-Third Psalm. I present it hear for you,
The Lord is my pace-setter, I shall not rush.
He makes me stop and rest for quiet intervals;
He provides me with images of stillness, 
which restore my serenity.
He leads me in ways of efficiency 
through calmness of mind.
And His guidance is peace.
Even though I have a great many things to
accomplish each day,
I will not fret, for His presence is here.
His timelessness, His all importance will keep me in
balance.
He prepares refreshment and renewal in the midst of
my activity
By anointing my mind with His oils of tranquillity.
                                                                                  All Saints convent Cantonville, Maryland
Are you letting Christ do these things for you, or are you dancing to the fast paced continuous drumming of an uncaring world.
Think about it.

No comments: