Friday 1 August 2014

The Apostle Paul's Testimony

The Apostle Paul’s Testimony

“Now, brothers, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand.  
By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain. 
For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance : that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures,  that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,  and that he appeared to Peter, and then to the Twelve.  
After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep.  
Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles,  and last of all he appeared to me also, as to one abnormally born. 
For I am the least of the apostles and do not even deserve to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.  
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them—yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me. Whether, then, it was I or they, this is what we preach, and this is what you believed.” 
                                                                                      1Corinthians 15:1-11.
Here is what Paul believed. Written above by the hand of the Apostle Paul is what he believed to be true.
He makes some very important points
1/ By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain.
If we are not saved by the grace of God through the death and resurrection of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, then Christianity is of no effect what we believe is worthless.
2/ that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures,  that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day...
Paul truly believed that Christ died for our sins. That he died, was buried and rose on the third day.
3/  he appeared to Peter, and then to the Twelve.  After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers at the same time most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep.  
Paul also bears witness that the resurrected Jesus appeared to Peter and the twelve apostles. That he appeared to five hundred others, AND that at the time of his writing this most of those who’d seed the resurrected Christ were still alive.
4/ he appeared to James, then to all the apostles,  and last of all he appeared to me also, as to one abnormally born. 
Paul also notes that he appeared to James, all the apostles and him personally.
For Paul to lie about such a thing when writing this could have been potentially disastrous for the early church.
All it would take to disprove Paul and the early church’s credibility would be for one of those who had witnessed Christ’s resurrection to deny they did. And as far as we know no one did.
Many over the centuries, even up to the present day deny there even was a Jesus but the facts prove otherwise.
C. S. Lewis wrote,
“Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important.”
                                                               C. S. Lewis
  Think about it.

No comments: