Monday 11 July 2016

The Lukewarm Church

The lukewarm church
“To the angel of the church in Laodicea write: 
These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true describe, the ruler of God’s creation.  
I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other!  
So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth.  
You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked.  
I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see. 
Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent.  
Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me. 
To him who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I overcame and sat down with my Father on his throne.  
He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.” Revelations 3:14-22.
Here we have what Christ describes as a lukewarm church. One that is neither hot or cold. This the church at Laodicea was wealthy materially and they it seems to equate material wealth with spiritual wealth. They felt they needed nothing.
Christ however describes them as “wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked.” spiritually.
There are many churches like this today. I think of the false doctrine circulating referred to as the “name it claim it” some at the extreme edge of this doctrine go as far as saying if you are not healthy, and wealthy you are sinning. They are completely wrong.
As Christians we need to be careful that we do not get sucked into such doctrines. We need to make sure we do not especially become lukewarm thinking we have “made it” spiritually.
Just because the congregation we attend it is growing doesn’t necessarily mean we have made it. Just because we feel we fully understand the word of God and are working for Christ doesn’t mean we are not lukewarm.
As Christians we should be growing everyday. We need to be studying the word of God not just at church but in our home also.
We need to realize that when we go off track God will quiet often correct us as any loving father would correct a wayward child.
We need to follow the council of Christ who said to the Laodicean church
“I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see.”
We can only do this if we truly love God. We should be like anyone who is in love wanting to spend all our time with the person we are in love with.
This is the secret of becoming on fire for Christ.
Take a few minutes to reflect on you life for Christ. Take a look at the church congregation you attend is it lukewarm, or is it on fire for Christ?
Please think about it. 

No comments: