Monday 27 April 2020

Live at Peace

Live at peace,

"Make every effort to live in peace with all men 
and to be holy; 
without holiness no one will see the Lord." 
                                                                   Hebrews 12:14.
Here is a story for anyone who calls themselves a Christian to think about. It’s called the Eleven o Clock prayer.
It's eleven o clock. Inside the court house a judge is about to make his ruling. A community, a nation, waits. 
Will the new law be legal? 
Outside the court house men and women with placards chant. 
On one side of the street stand a group of gay men and women. All in favour of the new law.
On the other side of the street separated by a line of police stand radical evangelicals, denouncing the new law.
One man among them screams angrily . "HOMOSEXUALS ARE GOING TO HELL!!!"
Approached by the media he says it again, "homosexuals are going to Hell." 
From my office window I watch asking myself the question, ‘is this man an Christian?"
Wasn't it Christ who told us not only to love our neighbour but our enemy also?
Wasn't it Christ who told us not to judge, lest we be judged likewise?
Wasn't it Christ who said go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation?
Is this man showing love?
Is this man judging another? 
Can this man be effective in reaching the whole world for Christ, of which a percentage are homosexual?
Is this man even a Christian?
Two questions keeps rolling through my mind for which I know the answer, "Can we truly know what is in someone else's head?
Do we really know why a person is like they are?"
For a moment I stare down at the crowd. All the time asking myself who is on the way to Hell this day, and how can I reach them for my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ?
Turning away from my window I kneel down and pray, "Lord guide me give me wisdom this day. Let me make the right decision on this law."
It is the duty of anyone who claims to be a true follower of Christ Jesus to live at peace with all who are around them. Even if we disagree with their faith or lifestyle.
It is a believer in Christ Jesus’ obligation to obey the words of Jesus who said,
"Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.  
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."Matthew 28:18-20.
The only way we can do this is if we live at peace with all men whether or not we agree with them or not. We have an obligation to obey the words of Jesus who said,
"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets" Matthew 7:12.
And we as Christians would not want people judging us or protesting our lifestyle would we?
Please think about it.

No comments: