Wednesday 1 April 2020

My Fortress

My Fortress
The Psalmist writes,
“I love you, O LORD, my strength. 
The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.” Psalm 18:1,2.
Over my sixty plus years on this earth I have had a lot of things happen to me. Everything from my house burning down leaving my family and I with literally just the clothing on our backs, to a cancer diagnosis, to blood clots on my lungs that almost took my life, among other things.
During that time I had two choices. I could have called out to God and said, “Why me. Why am I going through this.” or “Lord in you I put my trust.”
I chose to say the latter, Lord in you I put my trust.
Now I’m far from a spiritual superman. I am simply an ordinary man who makes mistakes and falls short of what God would ask of me many times. That being said, I have been blessed with excellent men and women of God who have helped me with their teaching to build my house on The Rock in the good times.
It, I firmly believe is precisely because of this that I have got through the bad times. Times when I could have easily died.
Looking back there is one other thing I was willing to say to God. “God not my will but your will be done”
Jesus while in the garden of Gethsemane knowing what he was about to suffer prayed,
"...My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done." Matthew 26:42b.
I firmly believe that as Christians. As believers in Christ Jesus we must put our lives entirely in the hands of God. Without any kind of reservation.
We must remember that while this mortal life we live is finite, with a beginning and an end. We are destined to live throughout eternity. Thus the only thing that ultimately matter is where we will spend that eternity.
So dear reader are you certain of where you will spend eternity?
Please think about it.

No comments: