Sunday 16 November 2014

A difference

A difference

I’m hope in writing this I don’t hit on too many nerves because I write it to make people think.
Some time ago I was going to speak to two groups about what it’s like to live with Bi-polar disorder. One group was Christians from an evangelical church that knew me. The other was at a secular meeting that had never heard me speak before.
During my talk to church group I mentioned that I had, had cancer surgery, that it had been successful, but that thirty days after the surgery I’d been rushed to hospital with what doctors told me were two very large blood clots in my lungs and one in my groin. I almost died.
I do believe that thanks to prayer, to God and some very good doctors I lived.
I mentioned to the group however that the experience with the cancer as extremely bad as that was, was not quite as bad as living with Bi-polar disorder.
I noted that when you are a Christian with cancer you have two possible outcomes. Either you live and enjoy life or you die and go to heaven where there is no pain and suffering.
The one thing Bi-polar disorder gives you is it draws you closer to God each day because there is no cure. Quite often I find I have to rely on God to just get me through the day.
Sadly Bi-polar at times can be like living with the worst pain known to man times ten. At times especially if you are depressed, even with medication you must force yourself go on one day, one hour, one minute at a time. It can be mentally and physically exhausting.
It is something that never seems to end. At least cancer can be beaten or like I said if you are a Christian you pass on to meet your Lord and saviour.
The Christians I spoke to understood this.
 Still my friend noticing my notes for the secular audience were the same notes I’d used for the church audience drew me to one side and said,
“you can’t say cancer is better than Bi-polar, because secular audiences unlike Christians who see death as a doorway to heaven, secular people see it as finality an end.” 
I’d never though of it that way before so I did change my script and left out the comparison.
I still do believe that death is not an end for those who believe in Jesus Christ. Death is a beginning of a life with God.
The Bible gives me this hope.
The apostle John said,
“Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God—  children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.” 
John 1:12,13
The Apostle Paul wrote,
“You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.  
There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.” 
Galatians 3:26-28
Paul writing to the Ephesians reminds us that Salvation is a gift from God for all who will receive it. He writes,
“For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—  not by works, so that no one can boast". 
                                                                 Ephesians 2:8,9
The writer of Hebrews explaining faith as,
“Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.” 
                                                                                                                             Hebrews 11:1
Then in chapter ten the writer of Hebrews explains our hope saying,
“Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus, by a new and living way opened for us through the curtain, that is, his body,  
and since we have a great priest over the house of God, let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water.  
Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful.” 
                                                                                                                Hebrews 10:19-23
I do believe in Jesus Christ. That He is my Lord and Saviour. That when I die I will meet Him.
I cannot see death as an end. It is simply a door way to eternity an eternity with God or without Him. The choice is up to the individual.
So the question is, where will you spend eternity.
Think about it.

No comments: