Wednesday 26 November 2014

Life

Life

What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun”
Ecclesiastes 1:9

“I have seen all the things that are done under the sun; all of them are meaningless, a chasing after the wind.”
Ecclesiastes 1:14

I know what it’s like to be depressed. I know what it’s like to feel like life has no meaning.
I live with Bipolar affective disorder and when I’m very depressed life can seem like it has no meaning.
I look at the words of Ecclesiastes above and can relate at times. But that is only when I’m depressed and not thinking strait.
Sadly many I know who have committed suicide because they see life as one endless meaningless journey of emotional and physical pain.
This is not so. Life has meaning. There is always hope.
Jesus said,
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.”                                                                                                                                                       Matthew 11:28.
I believe those words. Through the darkest days of my life, and believe me there have been extremely dark days in my life when it is only my faith in Jesus, in God that has got me through.
The writer of Ecclesiastes after examining his world dose come to the right conclusion. He states,
“Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole  duty  of man. 
For God will bring every deed into judgment, including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil.” 
Ecclesiastes12:13,14.
God gives meaning to life. He showed me that there is more. That pain and suffering is temporary. That there is alway light at the end of every dark tunnel.
I came to know the Lord long before I was diagnosed with Bipolar disorder. I undoubtedly was suffering from it because I was having times of deep depression an manic highs. But it would be over twenty years after my accepting Christ that I would be formally diagnosed.
During that time prior to my diagnosis I knew little of what was happing to me I knew only that I’d become despondent and depressed. The highs I put off to a burst of energy that lasted days at a time.
When I was down however I had learned to turn to God. To lean on him for comfort. I do believe it was God who showed me the good in life, and in my wife and family.
Suicide did cross my mind occasionally. But my love of God and his laws prevented it.
When I finally did have my big emotional collapse on the side of a major highway on the way home from work. I believe God was there for me.
I firmly believe the right people were set up to help me. I was able to get in with a good psychiatrist who offered me hope. When he unfortunately passed away I was able to get in with a second good Psychiatrist and when he retired with my current one. All of this in a area that was short of Psychiatrist.
I was able to get into group therapy sessions and after a lot of trial and error the right medications that have helped stabilize my mood swings.
Today I live with my Bipolar disorder there is no cure only medication to help you cope.
I have adjusted my life and lifestyle to help me live with it.
I have what I call my pillars that I rest on. My doctors both family and psychiatrist, the medications I take,  my family (my wife and children) and my faith in God who is there for me no matter what.
Jesus said,
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,
 for I am gentle and humble in heart,
 and you will find rest for your souls.  
For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” 
                                                                                             Matthew 11:28-30
I believe this. Having Jesus in my life has given me meaning and I have rest knowing that even in my darkest hour I can turn to him.
It is the same hope he offers all people even you dear reader. Will you consider letting Jesus into you life.
Please think about it.

No comments: