Saturday 24 June 2023

Lending to The Lord

 Lending to The Lord

In the book of Proverbs we read,

 “Whoever is kind to the poor lends to the LORD, and he will reward them for what they have done.” Proverbs 19:17.

I think individuals have to be careful here. I’ve heard people say “well I’m giving to the poor so God will bless me two, four, ten times what I give. Nothing could be further from the truth.

When we give we should remember the words of Jesus who said,

"Be careful not to do your ‘acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven. 

"So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full.  

But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.” Matthew 6:1-4.

We must give secretly first of all. Not only that I firmly believe we must give with a good conscience not expecting any return on what we give. We must give because we want to, because we believe it is the right thing. With no expectation of reward.

So, why do you give?

Please think about it. 

No comments: